Tuesday, November 28, 2006

The Day Douglas Fairbanks Jr. Gouged Out My Eye

I found this letter in my hometown paper, the Santa Clarita Hot Mop:
....
I used to be a candy girl on sets of RKO motion pictures such as Lady Jane, and The Return of Lady Jane, and The Return of Lady Jane 2. Being a candy girl means that I sold candy in a little tray, which was a very difficult job given that movie sets typically had dishes of free candy all over the place.

I was working on the set of Is Zat So? (1927) when Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. came up to me. He asked me if I had seen his father.

I asked “What’s his name?”

“Douglas Fairbanks,” he said.

I thought that was hilarious. I then asked what his name was.

“Douglas Fairbanks, Jr.” he said.

That was too much! I toppled over in laughter and my head fell on the point of his shoe. The style in 1927 was for shoes to have steel points that were four inches long and pointed upwards. As a result, I lost my eye.

In 1993, I found Douglas on Men in Tuxedos/Women in Christmas Outfits Night at the local High School. We laughed about the incident, but he showed no remorse for what he did.

It was all and all worth losing the eye over!
Signed,
Judy Baar Topinka

No comments:

Our Mission

Clown vs. Wolf is an exploration on why, when a clown and wolf fight, it is always the wolf that wins. This is universally true, even when clown is a Germanic Knife and Poison Clown - the deadliest Clown known to man.